Enter Title

Welcome to Employment Page

In order to work in Ireland a non-EEA National (unless exempted) must hold a valid Employment Permit. The Department's Employment Permits Unit administers the Employment Permits system. For any system to address all of these policy principles it must be capable of offering a suite of different types of Employment Permits depending on the policies being pursued. There are four types of Employment Permits namely:

List of Employment Permits:

Any person wishing to enter the State, whether visa required or not, are subject to the usual immigration controls at the port of entry. Therefore, all relevant and supporting documentation, including the original Employment Permit, must be available for inspection by an Immigration Officer. Entry to the State is always at the discretion of the Immigration Officer.

In order to be lawfully resident in the State, it is a requirement that all non-EEA nationals in possession of an Employment Permit must register with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB). It is in the best interest of the persons concerned to register as soon as possible following arrival. Delay in registering with GNIB could affect applications in the granting of long term residency and/or citizenship. Immigration permission to remain should, where applicable, be renewed at least one month before the expiry date in order to avoid unlawful presence in the State. Non-EEA nationals resident in the State must at all times have:

  • Current permission from the Immigration Authorities to be present in the State, and
  • An up to-date passport.